When evaluating the environmental aspects of a packaging material or system, it is necessary to take into account the package performance,environmental impact during its lifecycle and end of-life options. Expanded polystyrene (EPS) transport packaging is smart, safe and sustainable. With EPS cushioning you can achieve less weight andlower damage rates which translate into positive sustainability factors across the board. EPS can besame-recycled into a product of equal value orup-cycled into a product of higher value. And, EPS is often less energy intensive than alternative choices. Based on the Sustainable Packaging Coalition definitions for sustainable packaging, EPS demonstrates favorable environmental performance in most aspects, making it a worthy consideration for product shipments that require superior protection.
Safe & Healthy Throughout Its Life Cycle
•Made of 98% air, EPS is an inert material without harmful chemicals that off-gas or leach during its use or disposal.
• EPS is widely recognized as a safe choice for use in food contact packaging by government regulatory agencies throughout the world.
Meets Performance & Cost Market Criteria
• Because of its versatility EPS offers significant savingsin design and development, product assembly and distribution costs.
• With customized packaging designs EPS delivers exactly the right amount of product protection.
Its high tensile strength and cellular structure give this lightweight product exceptional cushioning properties.
Maximizes Renewable or RecycledSource Materials
• Recycled EPS is used in both closed-loop and open loop processes to make a variety of applications fromrecycled-content foam packaging to durable goods and innovative new building products.
• In 2006 more than 52% of all EPS collected for recycling was used to make recycled-content packaging.
Uses Clean Production Technologies& Best Practices
• Innovations in manufacturing technologies ensure EPS production minimizes energy consumption with mold cavities that cool quickly and manufacturing processes that recycle water and recapture air emissions.
• Many EPS manufacturers are ISO certified.
Physically Designed to OptimizeEnergy & Materials
• EPS feedstock is converted into a finished product 32 times its original volume—virtually turning air into a strong and efficient packaging material.
• If all EPS packaging were replaced with corrugated cardboard, paper, wood, molded fiber etc., compared with current figures raw material requirements would rise to 560%, power consumption to 215% and the landfill volume to 150%.
***For more details, visit www.epspackaging.org
***Photo courtesy of deloitte.com